Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sense and Sensibility

"Sense and Sensibility" one of Jane Austen's famous novels, is fairly similar to one of her other works which I have previously read, "Pride and Prejudice". I would do this blog on comparing the two and showing the several ways that they are alike and also the ways that they differ, but two others in my Women in Literature group have already done that. So I have decided that I am going to just write some of my true feelings about this novel.

Many people would say that it is a great novel which it is, but I would have to say that it takes a very long time to get to the greatness of it. It was very interesting in some ways such as all of the drama between who Mrs. Dashwood's daughters (Elinor and Marianne) loved and who loved them back. It was an ongoing search for their true love and finally within the last few chapters it finally all comes down to the fine line of who truly loves who. I also liked this novel because of some of the characters. There were several characters in this novel that you can find in everyday life, there's the bitchy ones, the crazy ones, and the out going ones. There is at least one of each of these types of characters in this novel which makes it a little bit more entertaining to read. The end of this novel was the best part for the fact that there was a lot of suspense and conflicts relieved.

I felt as though this novel was not as quite as good "Pride and Prejudice" because "Pride and Prejudice" was slightly faster moving and had more plot in the beginning and middle of the novel. I would have to say that it was a good novel but if I were to suggest any of Jane Austen's novels to anyone I would have to go for "Pride and Prejudice."

No comments:

Post a Comment