Friday, September 18, 2009

Handmaid's Tale - Parts XI - XV

I have just finished reading this novel by Margaret Atwood. It was a very interesting book, I would have to say. It was very difficult to figure out what time period she was writing it in and what period it was supposed to be taking place in, because there was some moments that seemed to be happening in our time. Such as the time where Offred has a flashback to a memory from when she was a child and remembered seeing Eva Braun on TV and not knowing who she was, while I was reading this part I right away could tell who she was picturing. This novel was actually written in the mid 1980's, and is supposed to be taking place in the near future, so around the 1990's - 2000's.

While reading this book I could relate many of the events and laws to now-a-days events and laws. For one would have to be that the Commander states that fact that everyone used to read books and magazines such as Vogue, which is a magazine that we still have. Also they used to talk about having abortions and going to strip club type things which is very common in todays time. All of the common jobs are no longer jobs because females are not allowed to have jobs except for being the carrier of The Commander's child. The women's clothing are falling to pieces because there are no more seamstresses to make new ones or even to just fix up their old costumes. There are many connections you can make to the past.

I would have to say this is a very interesting book. I liked how I could picture a lot of the happenings because a lot of it was connected to the American history. I would have to say it was a good read and showed a large amount of feminism throughout the whole novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment