Sunday, November 1, 2009

Jane Eyre - My Thoughts

I have recently finished the novel "Jane Eyre" written by Charlotte Bronte. This book was one of the longer novels in our reading list for the women in literature group. I enjoyed the book but it was not one of my favourites. It was interesting and had a good story line, I just think that there was too many words to get to the real story.
The best part of the book I would have to say would be in the middle where the climax began to come into play. The part I am talking about is when Mr. Rochester was going to marry Blanche Ingram just to try and make Jane jealous of them. Ingram insists that she loves Mr. Rochester but it turns out she actually only loves the money under his name. I really like this part because it is when Jane shows that she is a strong person no matter how wealthy she is or how pretty she is, she loves Mr. Rochester and goes with her true feelings. She ends up almost marrying Mr. Rochester until they are just about to get wed and the true news comes out about Mr. Rochester. I enjoyed this part because there was a lot of ups and downs in the story line and there was also a lot of connections that could be made. The largest one I would have to say was why there was always so much noise coming from the third floor of the Thornfield house. We realized at this point it was not because of Grace Poole but because of who she was taking care of which was Bertha Mason, Mr. Rochester's first wife who had turned crazy shortly after they married 15 years prior.
The second part that I liked about this book was that it was not just a few years of her life it was a whole life story, starting from when Jane was a child to when she was a grown women and beginning a new life with her new husband, Mr .Rochester. I liked how Charlotte Bronte did this because it showed the ways that Jane's character had changed throughout the years and how she also stayed the same in some ways throughout the whole novel.
I also liked the beginning when she was living at Lowood and had made her first friend who was Helen Burns. Charlotte wrote this novel so you could feel what Jane was feeling at that time with the pain and happiness. I liked how you could picture it perfectly in your head because of the amount of description and the amount of feelings coming from Jane's view. I was really into this book at the point when Helen got sick and nobody was allowed to go see her, but that didn't stop Jane. I liked how Jane was such a good friend that she snuck up to Helen's new room and spent Helen's last few hours in her bed. The best way to die would be knowing that someone you cared for spent your last couple of minutes right there with you waiting for the pain to end.
Those are the main parts that I enjoyed and why I enjoyed them.

No comments:

Post a Comment