Sunday, November 8, 2009

Oh! Mr. Best You're Very Bad

"Oh! Mr. Best you're very bad" is a poem written by Jane Austen. This poem does not follow a specific type of poetry for the fact that it follows a free verse, black verse, and a lyric poem structure. You may not think that it is possible to follow all of these different types but Jane's tends to do this. I found it weird when I was looking at this poem that it followed a rhyme scheme where not every line rhymed with something, it was different with only two lines per verse rhyming. This poem is also written in a form where there is 11 different verses which consist of 4 lines each, this is what makes it a free verse poem. While I was analysing this long poem I also found that it followed Iambic tetrameter which is where there are two different amount of feet for each verse. This poem I found had the first and third line having four feet, and the second and fourth lines having three feet. I also found that it followed an unstressed stressed pattern.
Now for the story that comes from the poem. This poem is an interesting poem because of it's story. As you read the title it shows you that it will be talking about Mr. Best and it should also tell us how he is very bad. When you read the title you also feel as though it is in a naughty way but it is actually in a way a hate poem towards him. As you begin to read the poem you can see that she is disappointed in a decision that he has made and that he is going for a different female. I felt that this poem had a lot of hatred towards Mr. Best and the way that he has acted toward the poet. I also feel as though in Jane feels that Mr. Best has made the incorrect decision and that he is going down the wrong path. She is showing how she feels and is very angry with him as if someone would be after they have been dumped or call a relationship off. I thought this poem was very interesting because many people could relate to it for the fact that it is a very typical situation that could of occurred. I really liked this poem because it was written in a different manner that I have not studied in previous English classes and feel as though it was interesting to see a very good author write a poem that is also in my category of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment